Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Goatroduction

For quite sometime Hub-E. and I discussed getting goats, mainly for milking purposes, but for butchering too if need be.  By the end of 2011 we had made up our minds that we were going to get three to start.  Only a few short months later we had made arrangements to get our first three Nigerian Dwarf Goats, two of which were pregnant!  Talk about nervous!  Unlike E., I didn't grow up around livestock, I had no idea what to expect.  I wasn't sure I was even going to like them.  Quite the commitment for someone who is so unsure, huh!?!  When we went to pick them up, they were just as nervous as I was.  I wanted to pet them and get to know them, but we had to make the four hour trek home, bonding would have to wait.  Thank goodness we had already set up their pen, had food and water waiting for them when they got there; it made the transition that much easier for them.  Finally, I got to get a good look at them, and yes, some petting in too.  Quickly we learned who was boss, who loved attention and who didn't.  They instantaneously held a place in my heart; I knew it was going to be a great adventure!

Since then, the girls had their ADORABLE babies, and we've gotten four more goats.  Our mini-herd is up to ten crazy, wonderful, sometimes obnoxious, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, all does.  Wow.  I couldn't imagine life without them! 

A little note about the milk they produce: Yum, incredible yum!  Creamy and extremely nutritious.  For those of you who have tried goats milk and thought it tasted "goaty", I can give you two explanations for that.  Either the does were kept too close to a billy goat and his smell (ewww), rubbed off onto them and penetrated the milk.  Or, the milk was not cooled fast enough/was not handled properly.  Goat milk from the grocery store just doesn't compare; I wouldn't even waste my money on it.  For those of you who haven't tried it, you should.  


Stay tuned for our Dwarf Dossier series.

Holly.Rae.






2 comments:

  1. Wow, do I feel silly...guess I should have started with earlier posts! Ten does...lucky you! Do you milk them once or twice a day? What do you do with all of your milk?

    Thanks for any info. you can share!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. We actually only have three goats that we're milking right now. We had four, but decided to dry one up because her production was going way down. Plus since it's just my husband and myself, for now anyways, we don't consume a lot of milk. We do consume a lot of dairy products though ie; cheese, yogurt, sour cream etc. So we've been experimenting with cheese. Just recently we tested one of our cheddars, and WOW it was good! It was a bit dryer than regular cheddar, and wasn't ooey gooey when it melted, but the taste was super yummy!

    ReplyDelete