Sunday, November 11, 2012

Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead


Okay, so for us the title may be a little bit of a stretch.  We were chubby, uncomfortable and achy.   

A few years ago E. and I had committed to completing a 20 day juice fast.  Our main reason was to shed some pounds and inches; cleansing our bodies was just an added bonus.  I had read  The Juice Fasting Bible, by Dr. Sandra Cabot (http://www.amazon.com/The-Juice-Fasting-Bible-All-Juice/dp/1569755930), plus I had searched around on the net for some quick info.  Looking back, I can admit that I wasn’t quite prepared.   I’m not going to sugar coat it; it was hard.  Temptation lies everywhere, but you yourself are your own worst enemy, ohhhh the thoughts!  I like to cook and we both like to eat.  We love rich, hearty meals and decadent desserts, unfortunately our waistlines don’t.   It was time to do something.  Those 20 days seemed like an eternity, but we completed it.  We felt good about what we had accomplished, and were ready for the next step in the adventure, but our taste buds got the better of us.  Not too long after that we started gaining the weight back.  Once you start eating it’s like you’re tasting everything for the first time…again.  So down the rabbit hole we went. Regressing.  Reverting.  Re-chubby.

Fast forward to August 2012.  We both knew we needed to regain control of our health situation, but how?  While I was on one of my many “pinning  sprees”, I came upon a blog about Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead (http://www.jointhereboot.com/).  Come again?  It’s about a guy named Joe, who was Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead.  He decides he wants to change his life and regain his health.  By doing what??  You guessed it, a juice fast, or a “Reboot” as he refers to it. 

So here E. and I are contemplating doing another juice fast.  Gluttons for punishment I guess?  After a bit of discussion we agree to it, but this time we’ve set our sights on a 40 day Reboot.  Absolutely gluttons for punishment!  We decide on a start date.  I spend a lot of time reading about peoples experiences; I even follow a few blogs that people had created just to log their progress.  I had to prepare myself and my mind.  Yes, for the Reboot itself, but even more so for afterwards.  I wasn’t about to spend 40 days, that I cannot get back, on a juice fast if I wasn’t going to follow through afterwards.  When attempting to talk to E. about anything regarding the Reboot, he didn’t want to talk about it.  He said it was better for him if he just didn’t think about it.  Holy polar opposites!  Okay that’s fine. I’ll just think about it non-stop, for every waking moment for the next few weeks…by myself! 

I truly believe that since I had thought about it so much, it made the Reboot that much easier for me to complete.  I can’t actually say it was easy, but it was definitely easier than the first time around.   E. did it his way and he too said it was easier than last time.  The Reboot consisted of 5 days of fruits and veggies only, 30 days of juice only, and another 5 days of fruits and veggies.  Water, you will NEED it and CRAVE it, drink plenty.  You will also want to brush your teeth approximately every 10 minutes or so.  There is a grimy film that develops on your teeth and tongue that doesn’t seem to want to go away. 

We’re both extremely pleased with the outcome and are focusing on continuing this health adventure. 

Holly.Rae.’s Stats:                            E.’s Stats:
Weight Lost: 25 Lbs                         Weight Lost: 27 Lbs
Inches Lost: 22”                               Inches Lost: 23.5”

As a side note: I even had to skip over my birthday dinner and dessert.  This is why we spent yesterday celebrating.  After 40+ days on a Reboot, it was definitely a meal to look forward to: White Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chile Sour Cream Sauce and Guinness Chocolate Cake Balls with Irish Cream(cheese) Frosting. Mmmm!

If you’re interested in finding out more, or even considering doing a Reboot please visit http://www.jointhereboot.com/.

The information and reference materials contained here are intended solely for the general information of the reader. It is not to be used for treatment purposes, but rather for discussion with the patient's own physician. The information presented here is not intended to diagnose health problems or to take the place of professional medical care. The information contained herein is neither intended to dictate what constitutes reasonable, appropriate or best care for any given health issue, nor is it intended to be used as a substitute for the independent judgment of a physician for any given health issue. All content, including text, graphics, images and information, contained on or available through this web site is for general information purposes only. The major limitation of informational resources is the inability to take into account the unique circumstances that define the health issues of the patient. If you have persistent health problems or if you have further questions, please consult your health care provider.

Holly.Rae.

No comments:

Post a Comment